A lot of weebs both new and old tend to be a bit skeptical towards Crunchyroll. Many of them happen to have the question that “ Is Crunchyroll worth it? “.
Founded in 2006, Crunchyroll was basically a content hub of illegal streaming of content such as anime, dramas, and other East Asian content. After a lot of trouble with the anime industry of Japan, Crunchyroll finally got rid of all illegal content and secured legal distribution rights from companies such as Gonzo.
Crunchyroll now streams to over 35 million members worldwide. Over 2 million of them are paid subscribers and rising day by day.
- Very Good Quality Videos.
- Cross Platform Support.
- Watch Shows As Soon As They Release In Japan.
- Ad- Free
- Social components
- Many Shows Are Missing.
- Lags Or Skips Quite Occasionally.
- Has a location Ban On Many Shows.
- Bad Website Interface.
- No recommended engine.
- Ultra HD ( 4k and 1080p40fps not available )
- Type of business ⇢ Subsidiary
- Type of site ⇢ Video streaming service
- Founded ⇢ May 14, 2006; 12 years ago
- Headquarters ⇢ San Francisco, California, U.S.
- Owner ⇢ Warner Bros.
- Key people ⇢ Kun Gao, Tom Pickett, Joanne Waage
- Industry ⇢ Anime industry, anime, manga, drama, video on demand
- Parent ⇢ Otter Media
- Registration ⇢ Optional
- Users ⇢ 45 million (2 million paying)
- Current status ⇢ Active
Website ⇢ www.crunchyroll.com
Crunchyroll boasts around 900 solid collections of anime shows, more than 200 Asian dramas and 50 Manga titles. Although there is a catch, not all content is available all around the world due to geography restrictions and licensing restrictions. Most fall under that category if you live outside of the US. To check what animes are available in your country: Click Here.
So Is Crunchyroll Really Worth It?
Crunchyroll might not be the best when compared with the free illegal Asian streaming websites such as kissanime, Gogoanime, 9anime, Mangarocks. But it is a BEAST in front of the legal ones. It dominates the legal market with its huge catalog of animes and dwarfs those of Hulu, FunAnimation, Netflix etc. With all the bad blood between the anime industry and piracy websites, anime industry is suffering huge losses. Crunchyroll for a change supports the anime industry and helps them to invest in future works as such.
Reasons Why Crunchyroll Is Great-
1. Supports The Anime Industry: As I said before the anime industry is suffering heavily and is not earning as much as they should. If trends as such continue we might as well say farewell to our favorite medium of entertainment.
The anime ( manga ) industry due to all the illegal streaming of its shows and content isn’t able to profit as much as they should. Therefore, many anime studios and creators aren’t able to put much money and effort into their future works. This is something nor the studios would want and nor would us fans want.
With that being said, it is also true that Crunchyroll doesn’t really support the industry canonically but only prevent it from getting ” hurt” by giving small sums of money to the creators. Studios won’t consider you a real ” fan ” until and unless you go get yourself official DVDs and Blu/rays.
2. HD Streaming – Crunchyroll with its paid subscription gives you access to content streaming of HD quality ( 720p and 1080p ). Which is a decent quality to watch on smart TV’s if not the best?
3. Cross-Platform – Crunchyroll is available in many platforms from gaming consoles to even Roku devices and Chromecast. You can watch it on the go anywhere, anytime. With such flexibility, I for one can flex on the Crunchyroll anytime. #NoRegrets 😉
Check below for availability of Crunchyroll in many platforms-
- Windows Phone devices (with OS 7.5 or higher)
- Apple IOS, Chromecast
- Roku devices
- PlayStation 3
- PlayStation 4
- PlayStation Vita
- Xbox 360
- Xbox One
- Boxee consoles
- Google, Vizio, Apple TV, and most Internet-enabled televisions are available.
4. Simulcast – You can watch shows as soon as 1 hour after the Japanese broadcast. Weebs who watch the latest animes airing can enjoy this feature to their fullest.
5. Affordable – Crunchyroll is very affordable with plans worth $6.95 and $11.25 per month and a year-long premium subscription worth just $59.95 ( Best Deal ). Compared to other streaming services, Crunchyroll is dirt cheap. To know more about Crunchyroll subscription plans, access the table below.
Pro Tip: Best Time To Get Crunchyroll Is During The Black Friday Sale.
Reasons Why Crunchyroll Is Not Worth It –
1. Location Limitations: ” sorry due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region”.
If you are outside of the US, this message is going to ruin your catalog real time! Due to licensing limitations, many Crunchyroll content is restricted in most regions. You don’t have to be a nuclear scientist to know that Crunchyroll is not what it claims to be if you live outside of the US. The ” 900 solid collection of anime shows, more than 200 Asian dramas and 50 Manga titles ” could even be subtracted to a mere number due to the licensing limitations.
Also, Crunchyroll has a VPN ban so don’t get any bad ideas ;_; Although it’s not impossible but nor is it easy, using a VPN in Crunchyroll.
Press F for those who live outside of the US in the comment section.
Pro Tip: You can always watch Crunchyroll Without Location Limitations Using CR-Unblocker and Firefox! (PS: It is as unsafe as sites like kissanime but LEGAL. )
2. Video Player: Crunchyroll even in 2019 hasn’t updated its site to get compatible with an HTML 5 player. When every other streaming services in the world have an HTML, Crunchyroll is the only major still using a Flash player.
It only works with a flash player which many of the internet users nowadays have long discarded just because nowadays we have a better, less-vulnerable and a more smooth sailing player – HTML 5. Also, the Crunchyroll Player tend to crash many a time and has a little to no control over the video ( like video quality and speed ).
3. Download Content: Crunchyroll doesn’t have a direct download from its site yet as we have in Netflix and other streaming services. As of 2019, Crunchyroll has an external program running: VRV. Although it is only available in the States.
Not having a direct download creates a lot of fuss for those who like watching shows offline.
My Opinion :
There are many things wrong with Crunchyroll. It ain’t the perfect streaming service but, true enough there is nothing that is perfect. Illegal streaming sites have their own share of malware and irritating ads while being free. On the other hand, Crunchyroll has one to none ads when subscribed and is safe. With features such as simulcast, cross-platform, and being so affordable, Crunchyroll is definitely something I’d recommend.
And if you want to financially support the anime industry then Crunchyroll is one of the cheapest ways to do that, the other cheap way is just to watch anime on your TV and see the TV commercials out there. DVDs and Blu/Rays cost over $16 each in the US while getting them is another ache in the head for they release only after a year or two after the Japanse telecast.
Also, there is always that 14day free trial of Crunchyroll Premium. So check it out for yourself whether it’s worth it or not. Happy Binging!
Also Read: 5 FREE and 5 Best Legal Anime Streaming Sites
Countries Crunchyroll Is Available In = All Countries except some in Asia like North Korea XD
All Crunchyroll Memes Are OC